i WILL ALSO BRING A LAPTOP
Jan

At 17:54 19/05/2005, you wrote:
Just to remind you that tomorrow we have a guest speaker who drives down especially from the Netherlands to present his very interesting research to our group: I hope you will all try to be there!

One technical issue: Gerard planned to bring his Powerpoint presentation on a memory stick, and I said we would provide a PC to connect to the beamer, assuming Carlos would be there with his laptop. However, Carlos is still in Venice. Therefore, I would ask if someone else can bring a laptop to the lecture room: Mixel, Klaas, ...? Or, to be on the safe side, Gerard, can you bring a laptop yourself? There also seems to be a PC in the seminar room, but we have never tried it out, and I have no idea whether it would accept a memory stick as it seems to be an older model...

Closure and the modular evolution of matter

by

Dr. Gerard Jagers op Akkerhuis
(Alterra, Wageningen University & Research Center, The Netherlands)

Place: room 3C204 (building C, 3rd floor), VUB campus Oefenplein
Time: Friday, May 20, at 17:30 h.

Abstract:
Ever since the big bang, the dynamic processes in the universe have created a broad spectrum of systems that have been arranged from quarks to hadrons, atoms, molecules, organelles, cells, organisms, ecosystems, suns and planets, solar systems and galaxies.
        However familiar the above 'hierarchy' may look, it may not be the best basis for analyzing the evolution of system types. The reason is that evolution does not require a focus on what is bigger, but a focus on what came first. It is here that closure fits in. As I will show, a strict step-by-step analysis of evolution is possible when using first-next possible closures to mark the transitions to higher level systems.
        The range of systems linked via first-next closures forms a highly special, limited family, the elements of which I have named 'operators' and their strict hierarchical ranking the 'operator hierarchy'. Systems outside this family either don't show closure, or when they do, the closure is not part of the pedigree of first-next possible closures.
        In the presentation, I will discuss the operator hierarchy and use it's strictness for extrapolation towards not yet existing system types giving us a preview of the future of evolution.

More info:
  • G. Jagers op Akkerhuis (2001): Extrapolating a Hierarchy of Building Block Systems Towards Future Neural Network Organisms, Acta Biotheoretica 49 (3): 171-189.
  • As a preparation to the lecture you are invited to visit the site HYPERCYCLE.NL where you may find an introduction to the operator hypothesis and answers to frequently asked questions.

ECCO seminar programme coming weeks

27 May: Lito Kyritsi: Systems Modelling of Cancer
3 Jun: Laetitia De Jaegher: Towards sustainable development: the precautionary principle as a call for a new theory of law to support multi-dimensional governance

ECCO seminars normally take place each Friday at 17h30 in room 3C204 of the VUB Campus Etterbeek. Everyone interested is welcome. The seminars are very interactive, with small groups (about 8-10 people). The intention is to discuss in depth the research being proposed, and to look for interdisciplinary connections with other ECCO-related themes. Seminars last about two hours, after which the remaining participants go to take a drink or a snack in the Opinio Café on the campus, to continue the discussion in a more relaxed setting.
--

Francis Heylighen
"Evolution, Complexity and Cognition" research group

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group