Title: Funding opportunities & knowledge reuse
Given the different new applications to join ECCO, I have done some homework and found a few more possibilities where researchers may apply for funding, e.g. for visiting PostDocs or European Marie Curie fellowships. I have added these to the ECCO website: http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be:8000/ECCO-web/21

However, there is much more to explore, and I suggest that we all do some homework to find further opportunities. For the Dutch speakers (although part of it is in English), a good place to start is the VUB's very extensive list of "Onderzoeksfinanciering en -beleid, gerangschikt volgens deadline" (research funding ordered by deadline), http://rd-ir.vub.ac.be/oproepen/OZfin_dead.html?22023+1+VUB+13857+2+VUB
If you cannot reach that website from outside the VUB, I saved a copy on my webserver:
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/EVOLCOMP/Funding/OZfin_dead.html

I propose that we all apply the knowledge reusability rule: if someone finds useful information or a solution to some problem that is likely be used later by the same or other ECCO members or ECCO applicants, then that person should store the information or solution in a form so that it can easily be reused, without needing to do the effort again to locate the information.

This should save us a lot of time and effort, and fully harness our "collective intelligence" potential, instead of having to constantly reinvent the wheel. The best place to store it is on the ECCO website in the most relevant section, preferably with links to the original source of the information. (people who cannot edit the website can send the information to me). Information that is meant just for our group can go in the private ECCO website.

Some examples. When Erden arrived in Brussels and was looking for accomodation several people made suggestions of where to look or what websites to consult. I have now listed these suggestions under the heading "What can I expect when moving to Brussels? " so that the next person planning to move to Brussels immediately knows where to check for rooms to rent, instead of having to find out by trial-and-error or having to ask us the same questions again. That page should ideally also contain a summary of the different administrative processes that foreigners in Belgium typically have to go through. Anybody who has additional information or experience in this regard is invited to add it to the page.

Another example. We are all interested in good books and papers to understand the ECCO domain. Whenever someone has found such a document, s/he should add it to the Bibliography section of the website.

And finally, we are all looking for funding opportunities: whenever you encounter one that seems applicable not just to your unique situation, but to other ECCO people, please add a summary to the funding page with a link to the official regulations/calls for applications. The summary should ideally list the basic constraints: eligibility, duration, deadline, ... and refer for details to the official site.

--

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group