Hello everyone.  I have just finished my latest paper which has unified all the
ideas I've discussed with ECCO while I was in Belgium.  This paper is related
to Francis' talk on Friday as its based of the same work by Jeff Hawkins and
Sandra Blakeslee--an excellent read if you have the time.

I would appreciate any comments regarding this paper before I submit it to the
arXiv digital-library.  Hopefully if I get back to Belgium this winter I will
give a seminar on this work.

Hope you all enjoy.  Take care.
===============================

http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~okram/papers/hyper-cortex.pdf

Rodriguez, M.A., "The Hyper-Cortex of Human Collective-Intelligence Systems",
ECCO Working Paper 2004-08, June 2005.

Abstract
Individual-intelligence research, from a neurological perspective, discusses
the hierarchical layers of the cortex as a cognitive structure that performs
conceptual abstraction and specification. This theory has been used to explain
how motor-cortex regions responsible for different behavioral modalities such
as writing and speaking can be utilized to express the same general concept
represented higher in the cortical hierarchy. For example, the concept of a
dog, represented across a region of high-level cortical-neurons, can either be
written or spoken about depending on the individual’s context. The higher-layer
cortical areas project down the hierarchy, sending abstract information to
specific regions of the motor-cortex for contextual implementation. In this
paper, this idea is expanded to incorporate collective-intelligence within a
hyper-cortical construct. This network layer, riding above the human cortex, is
realized as a hyper-cortex that maintains abstract representations of
collective concepts. These ideas play an important role in understanding how
collective-intelligence systems can be engineered to handle problem abstraction
and solution specification. Finally, a collection of common problems in the
scientific community are solved using an artificial hyper-cortex generated from
digital-library metadata.

http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~okram