On Mon, 2018-10-15 at 16:42 -0600, Bryan Berndt wrote:
> 1. Connect to exchange server, 'pop mail off the server'. that is,
> download it, and remove it from server,  and behave just like a POP
> account, storing all sent, drafts, trash, etc on local computer.

        Hi,
if your Exchange server has enabled the POP service then yes, you can
connect to it using POP3.

> 2. Connect to Exchange calendars, both my own and shared ones.
>
> Probably easiest to do this with the EWS connection,

Correct, with that you get all mail, calendars, books, tasks and notes.

> but can that be set up to remove mail from the server like a POP
> account?

Only with an Incoming filter, Edit->Message Filters, something like
"Location is EWS/Inbox, then move to On This Computer/ews/...",
supposing you receive messages only to your Inbox.

There are still some benefits to keep messages on the server though.
Just saying, I do not know your use case and reasons for the POP-like
behavior.
        Bye,
        Milan