On 2/11/22 23:27, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Wed, 2022-11-02 at 20:23 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
It is clear that the vast majority simply do not want a mailing list.

        Hi,
well, I believe that's a wrong assumption. You might also consider that
if "random people create random list" is not the right thing to do. The
community should work together, not to be split, because some random
folks think they do the best for the community even they do not wait
for the community decision.  Okay, yes, there is not much time, that's
true, but still. As had been said by someone, there can be made also a
Discourse post about where the "real" new mailing list is handled.

That's the reason why I didn't act on my own and did not create the
list myself, on a place I would prefer. I want to be sure the people
are willing to move that way first. And there are supposed to be
multiple moderators/admins, as poc said. I'm not the admin at the
moment and I'd prefer not to be. I've no idea how long I'll stay with
the project and my free time is kinda limited, as for everybody else.

poc, there had been multiple people offering help even with the
infrastructure. In case the current list admins do not respond, say
till the 6th (this Sunday), would it make sense to engage those folks,
if they are still willing to co-admin the list, wherever it is? There
should be a voice from them too, of course. I suppose to make the list
alive will take some time, hence I chose the 6th, to have at least a
week for it to set up.

Bret, what about you? Would you be willing to co-admin such list?

I think there had been at least two other folks mentioned here, but I
lost their names, I'm sorry. If you read this, please respond.

Just my personal opinion and thoughts.

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

At the time, and, in the absence of any alternative, and, at the request of one of the subscribers, I set up the list at groups.io, wherein I am the list administrator.

I did this to provide a list for subscribers, in, at that time, the absence of any alternative, other than the forum that was mentioned, to provide for people who simply wanted a mailing list.

I had set up the list at groups.io for users of the gimp, and, offered to set up the list for evolution users.

I also set up a third list for a gnome application, but, on that third list, from memory, less than ten people have subscribed.

I did not, at any time, seek to divide users in any act of sabotage - I had that done to me, when, some years ago, I was involved in the migration from Rootsweb. What then happened, was that an area of genealogy, that had been quite active, in mailing lists, was gratuitously sabotaged by some people.

I simply acted to provide a mailing list for evolution users, to replace this list, in the absence of any alternative mailing list having been proposed, and, at that time, the deadline was 31 October.

As is shown on the web page for the groups.io list, I set that up, on 24 October (in the time of the applicable timezone for where the list is hosted). So, that list has existed for about ten days, and now shows as having 31 subscribers (including me), indicating that less than ten per cent of the subscribers of this list, have subscribed to it.

Some suggested that the list at groups.io, be used solely as a stepping stone, until an alternative to it, would be established - I had set it up, with the intention of it being permanent.

But, it appears that the vast majority of subscribers to this list, do not want anything to do with it.

So, I have done my bit for the subscribers of this list, and, they have shown what they think of that.

Less than ten percent, support it.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale