On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 18:20 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 17:42 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> > Evolution never had its own setting for the toolbar, nor should it, it
> > is a desktop-wide feel thing, having every application use its own
> > setting is just stupid and annoying.
>
> 1) This is defensible if everyone uses the same desktop, but they don't.
> (Even if they did, I can easily imagine wanting different settings on
> different apps).

it's defensible anyway.

> 2) Although copying the same code in every app is wasteful

indeed it is

> , an elegant
> solution would have every app *interfacing* to the central control
> system.

it does, gconf

>  The fact that they don't means there is an assumption that Gnome
> is the desktop and the user will just click on the Gnome Control Panel.

And what if the user prefers a system like TWM? What then? You're
assuming that the user runs either GNOME or KDE, but not everyone does.

> 3) The Novell page on Evo
> (http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html) does
> not mention any dependance on the Gnome desktop.

it doesn't depend on GNOME to run, it just depends on the GNOME libs and
uses system-wide GNOME settings (which can be set without the GNOME
desktop apps installed)

you can use gconftool-2 or gconf-editor to change settings.

> Does anyone on the Evo development team use a desktop other than Gnome?

NotZed doesn't use GNOME

Jeff