But children of a folder get the same retention policy right?  So if Inbox
subfolders are used to 'save' items that is an issue. Have I got that right?

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Michael B. Smith
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:05 PM
To: exchange@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [Exchange] RE: Recommendation To Not Create Folders Under the Inbox
and Use Top Level Folders in Exchange

No, there is no basis for this.

At the most basic level, everything in a mailbox is an item. To the Exchange
database, an item is one of two types: a folder item or a data item. EVERYTHING
else is a property on one of those types of items.

A folder item is a container for other items plus a property bag. A data item
is leaf node - that is, it is only a property bag.

Performance problems occur when key folder items (i.e., containers) get too
large. "Too large" is defined by how large an index is required and how many
I/O operations are required from starting at the folder root (the base of the
key folder) to get the property bag associated with any item.

Based on how Exchange builds and rebuilds indices, 3 I/Os are considered OK -
because of rather esoteric reasons. More than that are considered "too many".

In Exchange 2010 and 2013, these means you can have up to about 100K items in
the key folders without negatively affecting performance. This does not affect
their children.

I realize this may be more detailed than you wanted. But I think I'll take it
and turn it into a blog post. :)