When I say “should ever see it”, I mean that your users should never see the
actual domain/forest name.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Michael B. Smith
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:02 PM
To: exchange@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [Exchange] RE: Naming of new domain - .local or .com?

I would not use .local. It’s now on a list of reserved TLDs (after all that
foo-fa-raw with Apple’s BonJour).

And I probably wouldn’t use anything tied to my company name, either. As you
see, mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures happen.

How about pot.pan? Or ice.cube?

You can use whatever UPN you want for your users. There is no reason they
should ever see it. I recommend you match your UPN to your primary email
address.