I haven't caught up on this thread - but if you create a mailbox rule in OWA,
you are assured that it will be a server-side rule.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of ccollins9
Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:53 PM
To: exchange
Subject: Re: [Exchange] Autoresponder for Customer Service

Actually, there is a way to create the rule in Outlook AND not have to leave
Outlook running.  In Outlook, create a new rule and choose "have server reply
using a specific message".  Then you can close Outlook and be fine.  I just
tested this. So I would append my earlier suggestion and not use Out of Office
but say to open Outlook as the customer service account, create the rule, then
close it.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Kennedy, Jim