I've never had any issues with user accounts to be created, after I assign
a license, in Office 365 as long as I have the e-mail address field
populated.  I only use the ProxyAddress attribute if I have multiple
domains or more than one address for a user.     I have not used Azure AD
Premium so I cannot speak to that.