At the beginning of the year, we migrated from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013.
In 2007, we were using managed folder mailbox policies to implement a retention
policy for all users.  Basically, we purged email from all folders after 90
days from receipt.  Trash was purged after 30 days.  We had policies in place
for Calendar, Notes and Tasks that we would not purge them.

Using MRM 2.0 and retention tags, we setup the same policy structure in 2013.
The default policy tag (DPT) is set at  the 90 day purge.  Trash is set at 30
days, and we have policies set for Calendar, Notes and Tasks with ‘unlimited’
retention period.  We also added the necessary registry settings to prevent
calendar items from purging.

We found in pilot that when we applied the policies to a mailbox, it started to
purge notes.  Since most notes were created years ago, they started
disappearing right away.  We spent many hours troubleshooting with MS and it
was noted that at first the Notes retention tag was applying, but then the DPT
was applied, and that caused the notes to purge.  If we created a new Note in
2013, it got the correct retention tag, and was not set to purge.  This was all
viewable through MFCMAPI.  In the end, we had to manually modify all notes for
all users to get the proper tag to apply after conversion to 2013, and then
could apply the retention policies.

Has anyone else had this problem with a 2007 to 2013 conversion?  I am aware of
1 other company that had this issue in a 2013 conversion.  MS has eaten up over
120 hours on our EA support contract, so we are looking at a hefty bill.
Initially, they were indicating that it looked like a bug, and we’d get our
hours refunded.  However, now they’re saying they can’t repro in their lab.
They did hours of traces, but apparently those don’t provide any useful
information.  They wanted to try in our environment, but we had to decommission
the 2007 servers prior to EOL in March of this year.  Basically, I’m looking
for any additional information I can find (e.g. MS ticket numbers from others
who have had this problem) that will assist in pushing for a bug designation,
or at the very least, some significant relief in hours that were spent in
troubleshooting.

Thanks.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender of the error.