Ok... Then without knowing which way the traffic is flowing currently in
relation to the original NDR and its munged domains. I'm assuming that these
Exchange servers are in separate orgs or that there's no directory
replication going on... Again based on the original munged NDR.

If the customer's domain is domain.com, it should NOT be defined as inbound
on the IMS, it should be defined as relay and then on the connections tab
custom routing should be configured. As for outbound mail from the internal
exchange server being routed out through the server outside the firewall...
That's easy, just treat the internal server as if it were a normal client
and enable routing as needed.

Still, enabling the IIS SMTP service seems so much easier and more secure.
It's not always just about giving the customer what they want, but giving
the customer what they need.

Chris
--
Chris Scharff