Symantec gives the following synopsis on what the virus does.  There are
some more details on the site regarding detection and removal that I did not
copy over so I have provided the link at the beginning.

Peter Dahl.

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

W32.Nimda.A@mm is a new mass-mailing worm that utilizes multiple methods to
spread itself. The worm sends itself out by email, searches for open network
shares, attempts to copy itself to unpatched or already vulnerable Microsoft
IIS web servers, and is a virus infecting both local files and files on
remote network shares.

The worm uses the Unicode Web Traversal exploit. A patch and information
regarding this exploit can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms00-078.asp.

When the worm arrives by email, the worm uses a MIME exploit allowing the
virus to be executed just by reading or previewing the file. Information and
a patch for this exploit can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp

Users visiting compromised Web servers will be prompted to download an .eml
(Outlook Express) email file, which contains the worm as an attachment. This
.eml file also uses the aforementioned MIME exploit. Users can disable 'File
Download' in their internet security zones to prevent compromise.

Also, the worm will create open network shares on the infected computer,
allowing access to the system. During this process the worm creates the
guest account with Administrator privileges.