Title: RE: License Question
Your missing what I said.  "The ONLY server in the Domain."  That means it is a PDC, and Exchange.  If it's a PDC, and is the only Server that they authenticate to the clients need an NT Server CAL in addition to the Exchange CAL.

That is of course assuming a native NT Domain environment.  I could be misguided here I guess, but I would almost bet my left arm that you need a CAL to authenticate to log on to an NT Domain Controller.
-----Original Message-----
From: Leone, Michael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:18 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: License Question

>They need an NT CAL if they are in Per Server mode.  Or if it is the only NT Server in the domain.  Hard to think of this

>actually happening in any kind of an environment...

Happens in my environment. :-)

My NT server is used ONLY as an Exchange server (altho I do have a separate Win2K Server running SQL2K as a member server in that domain). File & Print sharing is done on a Netware server. No one accesses any other services or resources on the Exchange Server. So, according to the web page, I do NOT need any NT CALs, only Exchange CALs.

Which is why I have a 5 user NT license, and a 50 user Exchange license.

List Charter and FAQ at:
List Charter and FAQ at: