Audrey Beck wrote:

> >>Posted for Dan Woods<<
>       Subject: Home LAN: RJ45, phone or AC ?
>          Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:56:22 -0700
>          From: Dan Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
>
> I was trying to decide the best approach for connecting
> my old computer to the new one to share my (not yet installed)
> cable modem, and printer.
>
> I know Linux supports two network cards and RJ45 wiring between
> them (with or without a hub).  Does Linux support the options
> that allow you to connect thru your phone lines or AC outlets ?
> Do these options really work, and what speed do you experience ?
>
> I understand that the network cards will be the most reliable,
> but wiring RJ45 lines would not be simple where I the computers
> are. I believe that Diamond now has a 5 Mbps telephone line
> option and this seems to be a viable option, since it allows
> a PC to be anywhere near existing phone jacks.
>
> What are your opinions or suggestions on this issue ?
>
> Thanks... Dan.

I think "Home LAN" is the Next Big Thing, which means 90% vaporware
wrapped around 8% inflated-need and 2% technology. Installing Cat 5 is
not that difficult, anyone who can use a screwdriver will do at least as
good a job as the cable TV installer. Doing that will be a lot less
trouble and expense for a lot more bandwidth and reliability, with no
phone or AC interference.

Jack