Michael Holt wrote:

> > Socket programming protocols basically form sockets for ONE task
> > and then destroy it.  In this case, it appears to be needed at
> > boot time as the target of a symlink.
> >
> > Civileme
>
> Ok, that makes sense; which brings my next question, what would be a
> simpler term for 'socket programming protocols'?  What is a socket?
>
> Thanks, Mike
> --
> ====================
> Mike & Tracy Holt
> Kirkland, WA
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ====================

Hmmm, well the absolute best simple explanation I have seen for
socket programming comes with the html on-line and downloadable
documentation for Python at http://www.python.org  It may be part
of what made me a python convert.  I think it has its own
chapter.

But basically a socket is a transport for a message--it either
sends one or receives one and is then destroyed (and possibly a
new socket created).  Naturally they are closely associated with
servers and clients, including X servers and font servers.  And,
like everything else in a unix universe, they are files as well.

Civileme