I recently installed mandrake 7.1 on a separate partition. I initially
used reiserfs. However the machine would crash on shutdown with an inode
error. Thinking this might be a problem with reiserfs I reinstalled
using ext2 on the same partition.

Whenever I shut down the machine it goes through the shutdown sequence,
at the end the kernellogd and syslogd is stopped. At that point the
machine goes into a loop with the following error message scrolling
continuously across the screen-

iput: inode 00:05/536871170 count wrapped

-till I hard reboot the machine. The error is reproducible.

There is no error reported in syslog as the syslogd demon is shutdown.
Next time I reboot the machine goes through a time consuming fsck, no
errors are found. I am running kernel 2.2.17mdk from mandrake updates.
Everything seems to run fine when the system is up.

I need expert help here. Anyone have any ideas? what is an iput error?
what is count wrapping? For now I am back to using the stable 7.0
version of mandrake.

--
Sundeep Mediratta