Quick and dirty Fix: Should only be used until you figure out  how to
properly set hosts allow and hosts deny Etc. Etc.  (I mention this only
because I haven't yet myself)

pico /etc/pam.d/login

Then find the line that says "securetty.so" (Usually the second line from
the top.)

Comment out this line from the beginning of:

#auth

Save and telnet.

Please note if this machine is conencted to the 'net via dialup or on a lan
without a firewall you are REALLY leaving your butt hanging out the car
window, during rush hour in Los Angeles.. :)

L8r.

Dan.