I believe hdparm is actually a utility to set the kernel parameters.
That is why, for instance, when the ata100 driver first appeared in the
kernel, there was a new hdparm to use to enable it.

You can also get around the whole thing by passing kernel options at
boot, like "ide0=dma", which is what I use on my custom kernel with
udma66.

Buchan