Dave Sherman wrote:

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > A possible replacement for Linux-Mandrake tools
> > > (http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/article.php3?sid=20010203022113)
> > >
> > > Chris Drake writes "I had a stunning idea that could possibly
> > > destroy Microsoft's attude towards linux. Why not simply write a
> > > program that reads Windows' registry and converts the configuration
> > > into linux config files and even install packages based on the
> > > registry (very early plan). For those who don't know much about
> > > windows. EVERY bit of configuration is stored somewhere within the
> > > registry. So a possible example of something we could do is read
> > > TCP/IP information eg. IP ADDRESS, masks, DNS config
> >
> > nd so much more and convert it into linux configuration files.
> >
> > > Myself and my firends are currently in the process of writing this

My first thoughts were skeptical. Very skeptical until... I remembered
how I would "hack" (program, uh hum, yeah) around with Windows Registry
files configuring it like it was nobody's business and thought, "Yeah, I
can see it now!" "They can do it!" This is my thoughts on making it
possible:

You know how wine uses the dll? Well, you can use windows client APIs
like msconfig located in C:/Windows/S.. oops! It has been awhile LOL
C:\Windows\System directory, winipconfig located in C:/ ..darn!
C:\Windows directory. Would not those programs provide a means . o O
(reverse-engineer) Who said that! like a template (a map) to read and
gather information from windows configuration whether it be registry,
win.ini, autoexec.bat, etc? By setting a program to "monitor" and record
the "activities" (inner-workings) of these rather "knowledgeable"
programs of the innerworkings of windows, you should be in beta by
Valentine's day! I am an accomplished windows guru and wouldn't mind
joining the developer group to make this program a reality.

Cheers,
--Al