Hi all,

Just got my new server working, and I notice some stuff...

Firstly, is it safe to use Webmin over the internet?  or should it always be
run as localhost?
If its safe to trust the webmin cert,, how can enable internet access? it
allows me to log in, but access denied on any features.

Secondly,, I just ran a port scan on the server from my notbook,, (prior to
starting port sentry.)

and noticed the following ports open (there are others, but I know what they
are.)..`
15      ?
53      ?
515     ?
587 (This is sendmail, ESMTP????)whats that?
1024    ?
3306  I think this is MySQL
5432    ?
8200    ?
10000   ?

Can anyone clear these up for me?  can I close any unnecessary ones? (none
are port numbers that I was planning on utilising.. or should I just
configure the firewall to deny access to those ports to the eth0 and ppp
interfaces.?

many thanks and stuff

regards

Frank
Perth WA

PS, this list has been of great help and I want to thank everyone that took
the time to help me along so far.. things have changed alot since Redhat