Hello,

I have done it, and it is quite neat, but can be a little tricky.

Basically, you have /boot partitions for each install (among others).  In
your case, Mandrake Install should do this for you, but if it does not,
just follow the following steps:

1)  Once the install on hdb (7.2) is complete, you will boot into the new
installation.
2)  Find the /boot partition in your hda (could be hda11, for example -
probably find this beforehand to save time)
3)  Create a temp directory to mount to (#mkdir /mnt/boot61)
4)  Mount the directory (mount -t ext2 /dev/hda11 /mnt/boot61, and make
sure that vmlinuz can be fount.
5)  Edit lilo.conf to add a 6.1 entry, and point linux.conf to the
/mnt/boot61 directory.

example:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=current
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
append="mem=256M"
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
        label=Mandrake-7.2
        root=/dev/hdb11
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/mnt/boot61/vmlinuz
        label=Mandrake-6.1
        root=/dev/hda11
        vga=788
        read-only

6) run lilo (#lilo)
7) reboot and test

Now, this is only from memory, and I edited the file above to somewhat
reflect your question.  Obviously, double-check the partions for your
installation.  If when you run lilo, you get any error messages at all,
please let me know what they are.  Also, as long as you leave the rest of
lilo.conf intact, and only ADD entries, you won't hose up your system
terribly.

The other thing you can do, is make a boot floppy of your 6.1 before you
do the install.

Good Luck,
Ron

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have LM6.1 on my first hard drive (hda) and
> recently got a new drive (hdb) and LM7.2.
> I would like to install LM7.2 on the second
> hard drive, while keeping LM6.1 on the first
> drive at least until I have the new system
> running OK.  Is this possible and, if so, what
> are the tricky points? I use LILO as loader.
>
> I would particularly appreciate hearing from those
> who have successfully done it, but any help will
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Serge Pineault

=====