Check out the "route" command.  It is possible that your gateway is the
wrong device.  All installs of Mandrake on my machine (and recently a
laptop at work) have had the gateway default to either the wrong device
or ip number (.254) which kills network function stone dead - packets go
out, but nothing comes back (of course)

BillK