"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:

> I've received two replies to my question, both of which told me how to
> build a BOOT floppy, when what I asked was how to make an
> INSTALL floppy.
>
> Perhaps my intention was unclear, but in my mind, an install floppy
> is something quite different from a boot floppy.
>
> At any rate, what I'm looking to be able to do is buil

An install floppy is good if you know how you want to install stuff (I
know I sound childish but bare with me). There are six different types
on images used to create an install disk. a harddrive image (hd.img), a
cdrom image (cdrom.img), a network image (network.img), there are two
images that I don't know their function but they are there (other.img
and blank.img), and a pcmcia image (pcmcia.img). You can find these
install images on a ftp mandrake image branch site (ie.
ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/images/
or
ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/i586/images/)
If you want a LM8beta install go to the development or cooker branches
but if you want a LM7.2 install, go to a regular mandrake/i586 branch of
a close ftp mirror site and type this command in:

(to get the beta image for a beta install from a cdrom)

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/mandrake-devel/i586/images/cdrom.img
(download)
create the install floppy from a *nix with this command;
$ dd if=cdrom.img of=/dev/fd0

If it reports no errors, you are ready to go!

--
.--. `
|__| .-------.   Altoine Barker