hi listees,

from my life before LM I am somewhat used to compile my own kernel
instead of using precompiled ones.

The normal procedure for this was to just download the kernel, install
it under /usr/src/, run "make menuconfig" and then build the kernel.

for mandrake things work different obviously. just downloading the
current kernel-sources (2.4.18-8), configuring and then building it
results in gcc instantly complaining that it misses linux/errno.h.

/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26: linux/errno.h: No such file or
directory

Installing the kernel-headers-rpm "fixes" the problem, but this is quite
weird, as the header files already come with the kernel-source-rpm.
Obviously mandrake is expecting the header files to be in /usr/include
instead of the correct place within the kernel-source-tree.

Is there a reason why LM-kernel-sources are configured this way?

Udo Rader