On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:11:44 -0500 synrat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server for my mail-web-file server setup.
> While I'm not worried about recreating configuration files for most
> servers, I don't know what to do with the users home directories and
> password files.  Will it work if I simply add the contents of the old
> password file to password file on the new machine ?? ( only user names
> of course ). Do I need to worry about shadow passwords in this case ??
> any advice will be appreciated.

I had the same problem when upgrading.  In addition, a previous distro
competed with uids/gids in the 500 range; so I changed all my users to
start at 555.  Now, when upgrading, I create ONLY an "installer" userid,
then copy over all the /etc/{passwd,shadow,group} stuff in the 555+ range
(users only) and voila!

HTH,
Pierre