On stardate Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Randy Kramer wrote:

>Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:30:30 -0400
>From: Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [expert] A little vi help
>
>> Michael Holt wrote:
>> > I do have
>> > another question; I've read books that say they've were written using vi
>> > and I started wondering if you could actually apply fonts and control size
>> > of fonts as well as italics, bold, etc.  Is that possible?  Does vi have
>> > something built in that will allow you to format a document?
>
>AFAIK (and like J. Craig Woods said) there is nothing built into vi to
>let you do those kind of things.  I can imagine that someone who writes
>a book in vi uses one of two approaches (or a combination of the two):
>
>   * Use vi to write the book in plain ASCII text, then move the plain
>ASCII text to another application to apply fancy formatting.  (I often
>found this a useful approach even in a word processor, at least until I
>learned to use styles effectively.  Content is the most important thing,
>after you get the content right, then do the formatting, hopefully to
>enhance the meaning and readability of the document.)
>
>   * Use vi to write the book in plain ASCII but add tags (manually or
>semi-automatically using macros or whatever) to support a markup
>language like DocBook, LinuxDoc, HTML, LaTeX, or whatever.  You know the
>tags I mean, things like:
>
>There are ways to run arbitrary Linux or other commands on a (remote)
>web server from your browser by:
><ul>
><li> creating a cgi script with the desired commands
></li>
><li> using a tool like CGI-Telnet
></li>
></ul>
>
>To me, this is not a fun approach.
>
>Randy Kramer

OK, that makes sense.  I'm new to vi but really enjoy the ability to move
around by keystroke and not have to mess with the mouse.  I was wondering
if there was a sort of common way the *nix people have done that I haven't
seen yet; there are so many tools in the *nix world (TeX, LaTeX - I don't
really know what those things are - yet) Word processors are great, but I
tend to get a little lost in all the options they offer nowadays and there
just seems to be something nice about sitting in front of a translucent,
shaded Eterm window doing my work rather than an ugly gray desktop with
click-able 'buttons' everywhere that I never can remember which one is
which and with that I shall </rant>

Thanks!  Mike :-)

--
Michael Holt
Kirkland, WA                       (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)