On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, civileme uttered these words of wisdom:

>To all of your others out there, it is no kidding DEADLY to install
>windows second. My recovery here was not for the faint of heart--23
>partitions on two hdds were thoroughly scrambled by XP renumbering. I
>had to rescue boot and find root and edit fstab, and that still didn't
>work because my old /var partition was renumbered where swap was so my
>logs disappeared at swapon... A reinstall was necessary formatting /boot
>/ and /usr fortunately I keep /home /usr/local and /opt separate. I
>could have used expert mode on fdisk to recover--redoing my old
>partition table-- but that still would not have covered the destruction
>of /var.
>
>Civileme

I've had similar experience trying to beta test WinXP on the same computer
I had linux loaded.  Any hard disk which was connected when xp would boot
didn't operated correctly afterward.  I don't really remember the details
since it was quite a while back, but that, along with the rest of your
response to this email, makes me want to see Bill Gates behind bars!
It sounds like soon it will be illegal to use anything windows - why can't
people (lawmakers) just see through all that and quite giving M$ free
rides?

/mike

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

  "AOL for Dummies" is kind of redundant, don't you think?