Hello all,

  I have recently tried to install Mandrake 9.0 on an external FireWire
drive. I was pleasantly surprised to see the installation go smoothly
after booting from the installation CD and selecting expert. However
after finishing theinstallation, there is no way of booting the system.
  The problem is the initial ramdisk, which is made incorrectly. It does
not even contain the scsi and FireWire modules needed to find the drives
and boot the system. After some digging I came up with the solution: It
is neccessary to create a custom ramdisk containing the following
modules: scsi_mod, sd_mod, ieee1394, ohci1394 and sbp2. Then the custom
linuxrc must be made:

<snip>
#!/bin/nash

echo Mounting /proc filesystem
mount -t proc /proc /proc
echo "Loading ieee1394 module"
insmod /lib/ieee1394.o
echo "Loading ohci1394 module"
insmod /lib/ohci1394.o
echo "Loading scsi_mod module"
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.o
echo "Loading sd_mod module"
insmod /lib/sd_mod.o
echo "Loading usb-storage module"
insmod /lib/sbp2.o
echo scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0 > /proc/scsi/scsi
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "Loading reiserfs module"
insmod /lib/reiserfs.o
echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root
echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
umount /proc
echo Mounting root filesystem with flags notail,noatime
mount --ro -t reiserfs /dev/root /sysroot notail,noatime
pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
echo Remounting devfs at correct place if necessary
handledevfs
</snip>

  The important part is to mount the /proc filesystem before loading the
modules and use the "echo scsi ..." command to tell the controller that
the disk is there (it is not auto-detected). With this and the stock MDK
9.0 kernel I was able to create the bootdisk which allowed me to boot
MDK 9.0 from the external FireWire drive.
  Note that similar procedure should be used to install/boot the system
from external USB drives. (just replace ieee1394, ohci1394 and sbp2 with
usb-core, usb-uhci <or> usb-ohci, usb-storage).
  I hope this helps people with similar problems.

Adam Kisiel                          | e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Faculty of Physics                   | homepage:
www.if.pw.edu.pl/~kisiel
Warsaw University Of Technology      |