Hi,
    I first installed Mandrake8.2 on an old Compaq Prolinea 575e a few months
ago and I never finished configuring some things - like a firewall.  I suspect
that I was hacked into one evening, as I suddenly lost permission to various
files and my root password was changed.
    I rebooted into single-user mode and reset the root password, but when I
logged in normally, the new password didn't work.  I've since re-installed
Mandrake8.2, but the root password that I setup during the installation doesn't
work when I'm logged in.  It will work, however, if I log in as myself and then
'su'.
    Any ideas of how I can log in as root? Is something corrupted in my BIOS
or on my hard drive?

Thanks,

Dan