a little better. with or without soundwrapper, quake3 now gets:
------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less
performance code)
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
Sound memory manager started