On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 09:57, Rod Giffin wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 11:55, Jack Coates wrote:
> > > some
> > > keeps

> > > I've got the same problem I think.  It appears to me that msec and
> > > shorewall for instance, work against each other.  I think the idea
> > > behind msec is good, but somehow I think it's default configuration is a
> > > little overboard.
> > >
> > > Rod.
> > >

> > Haven't had any problems here -- what are you seeing?
>
> I'm now sure that I should not have included Shorewall in the statement
> above.  It is working as advertised.  It's msec I'm having the biggest
> problem with.
>
> Just for example, during the install process (and afterwords in the
> configuration center) I told the system I wanted higher security - the
> instructions say that this is sufficient security for a server connected
> to the internet.  Apparantly you can't believe everything you read,
> because that setting causes the line: ALL:ALL EXCEPT 127.0.0.1:DENY
> to be added to hosts.deny.  That is inappropriate for a server that
> might say, be used as a dns/e-mail server.  I havn't found out where to
> change this yet, and any change I do in that file are commented out by
> crond's msec scripts every hour.

Heh :-) I definitely agree that the descriptions could use a little
toning down. Level 3 is perfectly acceptable for a system connected to
the Internet if you're also using shorewall and iptables. Levels 4 and 5
are an exercise in masochism and I only use them for building chroot
servers, honeypots, IDS nodes, things like that. They'd be worth
investigating for a server where you give shell to lots of untrusted
users.

> Short of removing the msec's scripts from crond, which is also self
> defeating, I'm at a loss.  There is a bit of documentation on msec on
> www.mandrakesecure.net, but the fix for my problem isn't exactly jumping
> off of the page at me.  At the moment, the only solution I can see is
> changing the security level from 4 back to 2 and hope Shorewall drops
> any unwanted traffic on the floor.  At least it will allow my remote
> users to retrieve their e-mail, and my dns will work.

You can make permanent detailed changes to its behavior by editing the
/usr/share/msec/perm.[level] files. Some high-level stuff can be changed
in /etc/sysconfig/msec, but the perm files are where you really
customize behaviour (for instance if you want a shared GID-writable
directory under /home you'll need to change the policy file).

> One other issue I had was with the Postfix install, but I've installed
> drakwizard on a test system here and see that the wizard provides the
> proper postfix configuration files.  I don't actually have the time
> anymore to figure out what it adds, so I'm going to have to drive to my
> system (20 miles away) and install and run the wizard manually rather
> than by webmin or ssh.  Very disappointing.  I use Mandrake specifically
> because it has been easy to administer remotely.
>
> Rod.

huh? I've never used the wizard for postfix, so I can't say what it does
or doesn't do, but you shouldn't need to drive to a server to install
software or configure it -- have you tried urpmi? Anyway, postfix's
config file is very clear and easy to work with, and the defaults are
quite sane.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...