On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:46, Dave Seff wrote:
> I had a user's machine (Mdk 8.2) suddenly freeze up. The cpu was at 100%
> (kernel, not user), and he was kicked back out to the logic screen.
>
> I then found this in /var/adm/messages.
>
> Nov 19 16:15:39 advisen13 kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation
> failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> Nov 19 16:15:39 advisen13 kernel: VM: killing process X

2.4 kernels will kill runaway processes -- something caused X to run
away, and the alloc failure tells me it was probably memory. Have the
user run gkrellm or top and it will be a little clearer what happened,
but I don't know a good way to remotely figure it out.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...