or could people be running MandrakeUpdate and getting the broken
initscripts package? If you have initscripts-6.91-13.1mdk you will need
to search the list archives for the section of
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/functions to comment out, it's a link
checking function.  initscripts-6.91-16.1mdk works, but I don't know if
it's released yet.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...