OH MY GOSH!!!!  I finally got it!  I can't believe the hoops I had to jump
through to get it working.  The box I installed it on is running the smp
kernel which *may* have made a difference (but shouldn't have), I disabled
supermount and devfs, I wasn't able to run the installer from within 'X',
it had to be done from the command line, and finally, I had to run the
installer like so: ./linux_installer.sh instead of sh linux_installer.sh
or it would complain about glibc 2.1 and exit the install.  There was NO
documentation on the box nor within and very little on the web - for being
commercial software, I think epic could have done quite a bit better than
that... 3 DAYS to install that game!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike