9:07pm, civileme mused:

> Umm, I just moved the Acer Drive to my son's computer (he uses the
> unmentionable system in its latest incarnation) and it behaves the
> same--choking on CDRW disks, so I imagine it is unresolved hardware issues
> with the druive hardware and the brand of media (one style did not throttle
> the drive)
>
> So it aint even linux-specific....  Just one of those things that you never
> know til you test.  I have a Wearnes 4x2x24 that works acceptably and a
> no-name that does 700Mb media perfectly either CD-R or CDRW, but won't touch
> 650s at all and it is rated 40x12x48 (and that one made me a religious buyer
> of very cheap CD-Rs cause backing up a 40G disk using it is not a wasted day)
>
> as to the quality of drakbackup, I cannot speak because I have been using
> scdbackup since 1999, but I do know that it works better with supermount
> disabled.  (MOF, with supermount enabled, I can crash the kernel with a dd
> from CD to floppy).  That might be the mandrake specific issue you seek.
>
> Civileme

Well I guess that about does it then - I'm off to check out scd.  Nothing
ever seems to be simple these days :-)

Thanks for the replies!
Mike

p.s. I know someone who can perform an exorcism on your son's computer if
you like!  :-)

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)