Wednesday, civileme mused:

> The employer was too cheap to give me a separate workstation, so it was my six
> years of work that was lost.  For the same reason, it was risky to try
> restoring from tape though I had always done one file a month.  Anyway, the
> tapes were stretched and dirty and the drive was unusable.
>
> I have been burning CDs since that time, even when the burns were at 1X.
>
> Civileme

Oooh!  I think I would have to smack that employer around a little!

Well, back from my original post - I googled around for some other ideas
and end up with a simple bash script that I adjusted to fit my own needs
and then did crontab -e for 3:45 am every morning.  I don't have
more than 300 megs total that I'm backing up, it's just the configs, web,
email, etc... that takes time to get back.  Anything else (mp3's, digital
photos, programs, etc... I put on cdr's.  This stuff goes on cd/rw:

#!/bin/bash
DATA="/home /var"
CONFIG="/etc"
set $(date)
tar -cvf "/mnt/backup/data/df$2$3.tgz" $DATA
tar -cvf "/mnt/backup/data/cf$2$3.tgz" $CONFIG
mkisofs -o /tmp/backup.iso /mnt/backup/*
cdrecord -v blank=fast dev=0,2,0 speed=2 -eject /tmp/backup.iso
rm -f /tmp/backup.iso
rm -f /mnt/backup/data/*
rm -f /mnt/backup/config/*

So far, this seems to be doing great!  I often stay up late and fall
asleep at the keyboard, so all I have to do is make sure I've switched
disks in the morning and I never lose anything important.

Mike

--
Michael Holt
Banning, CA                        (o_

      Bad or missing mouse driver. Spank the cat? (Y/N)