I built and installed the 9.1rc1 kernel-2.4.21 and it seemed to work great, in
some ways much better than the 2.4.19 versions.  I was almost able to get my
wusb11 working again (worked in MDK 8.2, quit with 9.0) but this turned out
to be untrue, and indicated other problems.

I found I was able to bring up my wusb11 for a short period, but then it died
with a bunch of messages in my syslogs about it not accepting an address (I
believe hardware address) then getting reset and trying again all to failure.

I thought ultimately it was simply a problem with the driver...but then I
found that my usb printer wasn't working properly either.  I tried to print a
document and it did nothing.  Looking at my logs didn't indicate any problem
either.  I unplugged and replugged the printer in and there they were, the
same messages about the device not accepting an address, etc, as the wusb11
was producing.  I once managed to get my usb printer working long enough to
print MOST of the first line of text in the standard printer test page before
it just died and wouldn't come back.  Looking in my syslogs I saw:

hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-1, assigned address 4
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-1, assigned address 5
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5 (error=-110)

etc, etc.  The "new address=" increments and fails every time.  This is the
same thing I was seeing with my wusb11.  There appears to be a different
problem in the 2.4.21 kernel than was in the 2.4.19 kernels wrt usb.  I
suspect ACPI at this point.

My mobo is an MSI KT3 Ultra (Via KT333) with an Athlon 1.1GHz chip.  If ACPI
is disabled in my bios, the kernel (stock and self-built) fails to bootup.
Blank screen immediately after selecting the system to boot from lilo.
Nothing in the logs.  If I enable ACPI, it boots up fine.

Anyone else run into this sort of problem with the 9.1rc* kernels?  I am
currently rebuilding the kernel without any ACPI support at all in hopes that
it will boot up OK and give me back my usb devices.

praedor