On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 20:00, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 09:40, Technoslick wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 12:10, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I was looking at 9.1 when I sent that...
> > >
> > > The two listings for the SMC card are
> > >

> > > card "SMC EZ 10/100 Fast Ethernet"
> > >   manfid 0x01bf, 0x2220
> > >   bind "tulip"
> > >
> > > card "SMC EZ 10/100 Fast Ethernet"
> > >   manfid 0x01bf, 0x2225
> > >   bind "tulip"

> > > this to /etc/pcmcia/config if it is not present then doing
> > > /etc/init.d/pcmcia may get you running.  (assuming that the above isn't
> > > in 9.0's file)
> > >
> > > James

I contacted technical support at SMC a little while ago. What I
suspected after my compiling problem was that the scripts were written
for Red Hat systems. It turns out to be true, and the only system they
have tested on. Their stance is that this PC Card is Linux compatible,
though not necessarily Mandrake compatible. They suggested that I look
to the Web to see if anyone has source code or RPMs for Mandrake on this
Card. Well, I have already search high and wide, but found nothing
reflecting Mandrake for this card. I will continue to look, of course.

I did try, just for the fun of it, to play around with my
/etc/pcmcia/config to see if I could manipulate the O/S to load some
module that would work. 'tulip' didn't work, using your manfid setting
and the ones that showed up on boot-up. I tried 'pcnet_cs' with the
manfid settings I am seeing and it still wouldn't load. One thing that
tech support did answer me on was what the chipset used on this card
would either be Realtek or National Semiconductor, but he wouldn't be
able to tell me which.

Beyond this, I am on my own.

Thanks again for your help. If you come up with any ideas, please post
them here or write to me directly.

Technoslick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>