On Saturday 05 Apr 2003 3:18 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 Apr 2003 1:20 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> >>Following your suggestion I opened Konq and watched /var/spool/cups. I
> >>also opened KJobViewer and sent a print job. The Job appeared in the
> >>KJobViewer window, and two files appeared in the spool dir. When the job
> >>disappeared from KJobViewer one disappeared from the spool dir and one
> >>was left there. still nothing made it to the printer.
> >>
> >>any thoughts?
> >
> > Hi, Mark.  It sounds to me a bit like the problem I had when trying to
> > set up printing from a win98 pc to the usb printer on this box.  It
> > turned out to be a driver problem.  I'm not on 9.1 yet, so I can only
> > suggest the lines of investigation I would take on 9.0, and you can adapt
> > them as necessary.  I'm not sure whether you said you had done either of
> > these.
> >
> > 1)  HP are pretty good at providing drivers.  There may be a specific one
> > on their website.  But before trying that, look at MCC.
> >
> > 2)  Try setting up a new printer (it will work alongside the other one,
> > even if they point to the same printer - I have 4 set up, to give me
> > quick access to different settings).  Under Hardware > Printers, first
> > select expert mode (or is it advanced?), then go through the screens to
> > add a printer.  When you get to the screen asking you to confirm the
> > model, there should be a selection of drivers available for your model.
> > Make sure that you have selected the recommended one.  If it is no better
> > you can use the same setup facility to try the other drivers.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> yeah, I've done just that a number of times trying both the HP 1000 and
> HP 6P drivers. I have a sneaking suspicion it's a driver problem as
> well. However, following Oscar's suggestions earlier in the thread I
> went to linuxprinting.org and did all that was mentioned there as well
> as getting the firmware .img that needs to be uploaded to the printer.
>
> I am seeing one of the weird things happening that is mentioned on the
> site. print jobs are being sent to the printer and the printer is acting
> as /dev/null.

I'm clean out of ideas, then, Mark.  I take it that this is a local printer?
The similar problem I had was when I was trying to print from windows using
the local cups driver, and that was cured by installing local drivers, but
that's no help at all if it's local :(  Sorry

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302