On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 04:48, Joerg Mertin wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I had several crashes using Mdk-9.1 under X-Windows.
> Having reacted fast enough once - I saw the X-Server was running Amok,
> e.g. using loads of Memory. Usually - the X-Server uses 180MBytes of
> Virtual memory, and 55Mbytes of Resident RAM.
> This Time, just before the System was completely unreactive - I had
> 401MBytes of Resident Ram, and 1.1GBytes of Virtual Memory - which is
> quite unusual. Ok - 10secs later I had no chance in doing a thing ;)
>
> I never had this beheaviour under Mdk-9.0, even with all my un-Mdk
> packages installed and self-patched stuff.
> Under X I do use the Cursor extension, using Silver as default
> Mouse-Pinters etc. Default resolution I use is the 1280x1024x32bpp
> (60Hz, as a TFT connected using the Digital Link).
>
> Here my Hardware:
> - Asus A7N8X Delux (Using the 3com Network Port, and Onboard Sound +
>    USB, Firewire drivers loaded though)
> - 2x256MBytes Ram
> - 1x30GB+1x40GByte E-IDE Harddrives, running in UDMA-2 mode (Don't know
>    if enable idebus=66 is safe. Havn tried it yet).
> - 1 Geforce 3 Ti500 (Hercules) with 64MBytes Ram - using the DVI Port.
> - 1 Eizo L465TFT Black screen (*A beauty :)*)
>
> The Used Software:
> - Mdk-9.1
> - NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123, NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123 self compiled
>    kernel-module (The never drivers have the so=caled Black-Display
>    Syndrom, sent a Mail to NVIdia with a detailed Bug-Report though - the
>    System does not Hardlock, it takes only 30Minutes to passes a certain
>    probing stage in the X-Drivers extension while locking all
>    interrupts).
> - Kernels used (This time not self-compiled)
>    kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk and
>    kernel-multimedia-2.4.21.0.16mdk-1-1mdk
> - The Rest is a Fresh install, having had some Plf/Texstar packages for
>    Xine/mplayer & Multimedia stuff.
>
> PS: Has anyone gotten the Rear Sattellites, LFE/Center speakers to
> activate using the alsa-Drivers ? They seem to recognise everything -
> but I am unable so far to activate these :)
>
> Thx for any hints & to take this as a Bug report :)
>
> Cheers
>
>       Joerg

Joerg,

  Over on the cooker list.  Thomas has stated and given links to a bunch
of kernel patches Some of them specifically aimed at your mobo.  (the
thread title is: NEW INSTALL IMAGES FOR MDK 9.1 )  He said he should
have a new kernel on the cooker by Sunday to address this and a number
of other HW issues.  If you can't wait he provided links to the
patches.  If you can. He should have the kernel out soon and I'm sure he
would appreciate constructive feedback.  (btw the thread title is in all
caps that's not my editing.)

James