Ensure you are not using the '8139too' driver. Its a little buggy and this shows
during high bandwidth usage. BTW Donald Becker is THE linux network card driver guru,
this site is predominantly based on his work and explains where i am coming from.
http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

This may or may not help. I know my experience with the '8139too' left a nasty taste.

--
Michael