I recently upgraded my MB to a Tyan Thunder K7X Pro and now I'm having
problems with sound in MDK 9.1.  I'm using the same sound card as
before (SB live) and same MDK version (stock kernel).  Here's a
description of what happens:

After a reboot sound players like xmms will lock up when attempting to
play a sound file.  I can get sound to work by killing the app and
kmix, restarting alsad and soundd, then restarting kmix.  Strangely,
kmix has the master and PCM controls muted when I restart it at this
point.  Unmute and sound works with one glitch:  If I try to adjust the
volume from xmms, the sound stops.  Twiddle the PCM control in kmix and
sound comes back.

Any clues as to what might cause this strange behavior?  Would a kernel
upgrade fix this?

--
Thomas K. Gamble
Los Alamos National Laboratory