On Monday 01 September 2003 12:09 am, lorne wrote:
> On Sunday 24 August 2003 10:07 pm, lorne wrote:
> > I've done some searching and haven't found any previous traffic on this
> > exactly. I have two problems. I'm beginning to think they may be related:
> >
> > Copying files from my XP system to my 9.1 samba server is HORRIBLE! Say
I'm
> > copying 650mb of Wav files. We're talking an hour or so! Looking at the
> > traces, everything seems ok. We're moving it along at 1514 chunks.
> >
> Well since no one has taken me on, I'm going to reply to myself. :) I have
> found a potential clue. I just did a samba mount to my xp box from the linux
> box. Transfers FLY! I can transfer 650MB in 2 minutes flat. Take that same
> bunch of files from Xp to linux via samba and it will take ?? I stopped
> timing after 20 minutes. ???
>
> Anybody have any clues? I did find something about disabling a web service,
> but it made no difference. At least I have a work around for now.

IIRC, there are some registry settings in XP that affect this.  MS, in an
effort to break Samba I'm sure, introduced some registry settings which check
for things like remote task execution and stuff on the remote server,
assuming it is a windows machine.  I do not recall where specifically I found
the info, and I recall a thread about similar problems on win2k not to long
ago somewhere.  Not sure if it was on this list though.  With these
additional clues though, you probably could come up with something on Google.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx