On Sunday 14 September 2003 09:02 pm, Philip Webb wrote:
> however, i'm not sure re the correspondence of names:
> there are IDE1 IDE2 IDE3 IDE4, then HDD0 HDD1 HDD2 HDD3
> & in Linux 'hda hdb hdc hdd hde hdf hdg hdh'.;
> Linux seems to see HDD0 (the hard drive) as 'hde'.
> can anyone offer clarific'n ?

On my board,

IDE0 (VIA Primary) hde, hdf  ==> My burner attached here
IDE1 (VIA Secondary) hdg, hdh ==> My cdrom
IDE2 (Highpoint Primary) hda, hdb ==> My boot drive
IDE3 (Highpoint Secndary) hdc, hdd ==> My spare drive

You can switch the order of IDE0,1 and IDE2,3 by passing ide=reverse to the
kernel at boot, so that your VIA channels will hold hda, hdb, hdc and hdd and
the Highpoint channels will hold hde, hdf, hdg, and hdh.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx