On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:50, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have been struggling with GnomeMeeting for some time now, getting
> all the help I can from this list, then from the GM mailing list.
> The end of that conversation was that devsd was the likely problem,
> and I would need to talk to someone who really understands Mandrake's
> implementation of it.
>
> A friend of mine has been having a similar fight with his Handspring
> Visor.  Again, he has asked all he can for help.  It appears that
> this is also a devfsd problem.  Apparently some aspects of using
> Gnome-pilot on 9.1 were not properly implemented, as it was 'very

You're right about devfs - at least in my experience anyway. When I
first tried using my Handspring with mdk 8.1 I found then that the only
way to get it to work reliably (or sometimes at all) was to disable
devfs. I have no idea why Mandrake has insisted on staying with it all
this time when it's as broken as it is. From what I see on the linux
kernel list it would appear devfs will be going away anyway. The
original maintainer has went away and nobody else seems to have done
much with it either aside from cutting away major parts of it.

That aside, if you check the archives from the 8.1/8.2 time frame there
should be some threads where this exact thing was discussed and a few
solutions found. I did finally get both of those versions to sync my
Handspring by disabling devfs and a couple of other (forgotten) things.
I don't recall that Gnome-pilot was involved but I could be wrong on
that too. I did make one half hearted attempt at getting the sync
working with 9.0 one time but gave up when it took more than a few
minutes because I don't really need the sync anyway. On the whole my
impression is that usb stuff, palm type device syncing at least, is
still pretty immature with Linux. I've never seen it work out of the box
- at least on Mandrake. I've never tried it with the k12os/RH systems I
maintain (most cuz they're all servers) so I can't way whether it's
Linux in general or something specific to Mandrake.

I just found this in my email history. Maybe it'll help...

<historical_quote>
Add to or fix in lilo.conf...

append=" devfs=nomount"

...run lilo and reboot.

The config on my two 8.1 systems is like this:

*add to /etc/modules*
usbcore
usb-uhci
usbserial
visor

(depending on your system you may need usb-ohci instead of usb-uhci)

*in /etc/sysconfig/usb*

VISOR=yes

My /etc/modules.conf also has...

alias usb-interface0 usb-uhci

...although I think mdk8.1 set that up at install time - I don't
remember doing it.

Last I created a symlink from /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 to /dev/visor and set up
jpilot to use it. After all that just start jpilot, hit the hot sync
button on the visor USB cradle, and click the sync button in jpilot.

FWIW, just in the way of information, the one 8.1 system we've gotten
devfs to work on uses usb-ohci. On that system, with devfs enabled, if
you watch the /dev/usb directory carefully you'll see the ttyUSBx
entries pop up briefly when you hit the hot sync botton on the USB
cradle. One of my co-workers uses that system. Somehow he happened to
get everything to work right one time using the gnome pilot conduit
settings in the gnome control center and it's been fine since. Note that
the gnome control center must be used to set up the gnome pilot conduits
although once they're set up they seem to work fine in KDE thereafter.
He sync's his visor everyday to jpilot.

That said though, it has been much easier for me to just sort of hard
code this stuff as I've illustrated above instead of trying to get the
devfs stuff to work. Maybe Richard Gooch (lkml) will someday get devfs
working smoothly and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread but it
appears not ready for prime time right now IMHO.

</historical_quote>

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...