On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:39, Vincent Chen wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> My old VIA mainboard was gone weeks ago and I bought a
> nforce2 board to replace it. I got a lot of situation
> with this new board:
>
> 1. usb mouse won't work during mandrake 9.0
> installation event I set it to USB 1.0/1.1 only,but it
> works ok after new system start up. Is this a hardware
> or mandrake problem?

Mandrake 9.1 would be a better choice for the Nforce2 Motherboard..
remember that the Nforce2 were not out when the 9.0 Mandrake was being
made.

The USB will only work after the Nforce drivers are installed..
probably use a PS2 mouse during install..   then install the drivers,
then use mousedrake to switch it back to a USB mouse.

> 2. while review dmesg output,my IDE drive hda doesn't
> indicate as UDMA100. It does show as UDMA100 in the
> old board. Should I run hdparm to get better
> performance?

Once again..  Mandrake 9.1 will enable DMA by default for the Nforce
motherboard but Mandrake 9.0 you will have to deal with the DMA manually
with hdparm.

> 3. It quit offen that I got heavy disk I/O while using
> mozilla to surf the net. At this time, I can barely
> move mouse or do anything else. How can this happen?
> This is my first terrible experience under linux. Is
> it possible to tune the system for better performance.

Which network card driver are you using..   I found the massive problems
with the latest Nforce motherboard driver that runs the Network card..
that's the Version: 1.0-0261 one..  I use the Version: 1.0-0248 of the
driver at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0248.html if
your running Mandrake 9.1 you will need to rebuild the source RPM..
Still the problems were noticed with a Nforce1 motherboard, the Version:
1.0-0261 maybe O.K. with the Nforce2 motherboard.

> 4. Each day I use ntpdate to sync system time with a
> time server, I got offset > 100s. The value for old
> system always less than 5s. Is it possible caused by
> point 3?

Enable DMA for the hard drives with hdparm..   or install Mandrake 9.1
and it will be done for you. This will solve you problem.

> I have to say that this board works much better under
> windows than linux. Do you have recommendation for AMD
> boards which has best performance under linux? VIA?
> SIS?

Buying most new motherboards off the shelf you will probably have
problems with Mandrake 9.0.. It's just most of the band new boards were
not around when Mandrake9.0 was being made... anyway I would recommend
the Nforce motherboard, when tuned correctly they fly..

Cheers
Mark