On Saturday 04 Oct 2003 6:42 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Anne Wilson said:
> >>
> >> You know, I was reading a little bit about that, and I was under
> >> the impression that most of it's new features were aimed at
> >> dealing better with NT4.
> >
> > Since XP has the same base as NT4, that's reasonable.
>
> I'm not a real m$ kernel guru, but I believe that they've made
> quite a few changes since nt4.  Looking back on the win2k mcse
> classes, there was quite a bit of difference even in those
> systems.  Working experience with xp now seems quite a bit
> different than 2k (of course that's end user stuff).

I'm sure they have, but AFAIK that is developmental, not new.

> >>I thought that was quite odd, but I may
> >> have just misread; it was really more of a quick glance.
> >> Similarly with Win4lin; why do they keep putting out new
> >> versions
> >> that only work with 9x versions of Windoze?  That system is 5
> >> years old now.
> >
> > The latest issue is able to support W2K upwards - but it's a
> > first stage, so I don't know how good it is yet.  I'm sure that
> > by the next
> > release it will be good.
> >
> > And then of course many of us do actually prefer to stay with
> > win98 -
> > particularly since it is 100% stable under win4lin.
>
> Just browsing their webpage, they don't seem to have support for
> anything buy 95,98 or ME.  Are you talking about one in beta?

I may have to grovel on this one.  I was speaking from memory, but I
can't find the newletter I was thinking of - I must have deleted it.
I know they were talking about DirectX improvements, but I could be
totally wrong about W2K and XP.  Sorry.

As I said, win98SE is 100% stable for me under win4lin, but I
recognise that that is no help if you need to read ntfs directories,
or own a copy of w2k but not win98.

Sorry if I misled you.

Anne
--