On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Leonardo Sá wrote:

> i'm planning to do a mail user management (like to add and remove mail
> users, but only mail users) via the web using apache. I know that
> postfix can use mysql (and mysql records can be added via web using php)
> to authenticate it's users but i don't have any ideas on how to create
> new users for imap (imap-2000a) access.

TTBOMK, the only difference between a "mail-only" user and a standard user
is the former's lack of a valid default shell definition in /etc/passwd
(which is what prevents them from being able to login). Certainly, if one
plans to use imap, such users will need their own home directories, as
that is where imap will store their mail folders. It seems to me that if
you want to administer these users over the web (and securely, obviously),
Webmin is the easiest way to do it, and would work "right out of the box".
Setting up LDAP is another option, but I've never wrestled with that. :)

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
The engineer is neither optimist nor pessimist. He sees the proverbial