Wolfgang Bornath kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika Maanantai 06 Lokakuu 2003
20:35):
> diego schrieb am 06 Oct 2003 19:02:06 +0200:
> > Hummmm... and if that's the case (a module is corrupted), you can have
> > a look at badmem:
> >     it will lock bytes reported as wrong by memtest86 so you would
> >     be able to still spend 0$ and use much of that module ;-))
>
> Now this IS a great advice! I have a module here in my desk that memtest
> reported has some bad bytes (only a few). If I could get that to work
> with locked bad bytes it would increase my desktop's memory up to
> 1GByte!
>
> If this works then this advice may be one of the most important advices
> I received this year.
>
> wobo

As we have the badram patches in upcoming 9.2, here is how to do it:
(it was added in 2.4.22-0.7mdk)

run memtest, choose the following:
(c)onfiguration
(6) Error Report Mode
(2) BadRam Patterns
(8) Restart Test

When the test have run, and found some bad ram, it will show a line like this:

badram=0x09c17d18,0xfffffffc

this line that is reported is exactly what you need to add to your lilo append
line, and the kernel will map that memory area as "forbidden area" that no
program will use, not even the kernel...

Thanks to the badram patch I didn't have to discard a 512MB module due to a
4kB bad area in that module (that's what the above badram=... example fixes)

--
Regards

Thomas